HPHS Media

Welcome to the world

Elephant African Bush Elephant Baby Elephant

http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture

http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture

Baby african elephant Ajabu and family enjoy their new life at the Dallas Zoo

The birth of a new baby is always exciting and anticipated, and it’s even more exciting when people get to meet the new baby. During the month of October baby elephant Ajabu and his mother, Mlilo made their dabu to the public. The Dallas zoo had been awaiting for the arrival of baby male Ajabu was born on May 14 to mother, Mlilo she when she arrived to the Dallas zoo she was already expecting when she arrived.

Ajabu was 175 pounds and three feet tall when he was born.  After his  arrival the staff of the Dallas zoo had to race the clock and baby proof the enclosure for the elephants. This was needed because the enclosure that the mother and calf are living and viewable to the public has many deep ponds that are a risk to have the calf around. The baby proofing is still there today, however baby Ajabu has grown to 332 pounds and four feet tall. Ajabu is a little call of energy according to the staff at the Dallas Zoo. In his spare time enjoys “sparring” with tree trunks, exploring the enclosure and most recently making noise with his trunk. Mlilo was rescued  from Swaziland last spring because of the extreme drought in the area. She is roughly 14 years old, she was pregnant for about 22 months and during that time she was brought from Swaziland to the Dallas Zoo.

The mother and calf live in the enclosure with eight other elephants, Zola, Nolwazi, Amahle who is Nawaz’s daughter and Tendaji, and at most the elephants aren’t more than 17 years of age. The zoo refers to the elephants as the “swaziland six” because they are from Swaziland, which is a small country of about 1.25 million people. The country is landlocked and surrounded by the country of south africa. The zoo also has four other elephants Jenny, Gypsy, Congo and Kamba who are all older (between the ages of 37 and 41) the zoo refers to them as the “golden girls” because they are the oldest of all the elephants at the Dallas Zoo. All the elephants at the Zoo are African elephants. African elephants have an average lifespan of upwards of 65 years and tend to live her herd that are mostly female which tend to be quite large with a few males. Unfortunately the population of African elephants are declining and that is why the birth of little Ajabu was so special.