HPHS Media

Too little too late?

Edward Bass, Staffer

Sometimes we all get lost and Johnny Manziel is no exception. The former Cleveland Browns and Texas A&M standout tweeted that he’s been “lost in the sauce” in 2016. Reports say he is trying to make a comeback in the NFL. His past tweets have been filled with apologies and acknowledgements of his past mistakes. Will we really see a comeback from Johnny Football? Even if you love him or hate him, no one can deny that he was one of the most entertaining players to watch in college football. Even if his doesn’t succeed, it’s a big accomplishment for Johnny if he recovers from the ditch he’s been digging for himself.

Ever since basically when he was drafted by the Browns, Manziel has always been drowned in controversy. From partying, to being involved with drugs, to hanging with big name celebrities, to being checked into rehab, to even have his own father say, “He will not get past his 24th birthday going on like this,” Johnny has been in the spotlight a lot in 2016. His former girlfriend, Colleen Crowley, reported last January that Manziel assaulted her outside of Hotel ZaZa in Dallas, hitting her so hard in the hard that she ruptured her eardrum. There has always been a cloud over Manziel, but when there is a new year, Manziel promises to be a new person.

Is a comeback really on the table for Johnny Football? According to TMZ, Manziel is “dead serious” about returning to football. He is claiming he is sober and is working out five to six times a week. In his latest tweets, he is admitting his mistakes, promising to be a better person in 2017. He says he is doing it for the Texans that have stuck with him through thick and thin. This is the first step in a long road ahead for Manziel, at least he is heading in the right direction … we think.

I am in full support for Manziel as he begins his comeback. Why wouldn’t we want this guy back playing football? He moves off the field may be bad, but his play on the field was extraordinary. Some of the things he did left people breathless. It was not only his athleticism, but his confidence to attempt the things he did. The awkward body throws, the power of his arm, the awareness in the pocket, his scrambling ability, and his vision just show how good of an athlete he was. Can we just send him back to college? Nevertheless, whatever Manziel does, I just hope he finds his way back to the football field.