HPHS Media

Repeal of North Carolina “bathroom bill”

Ali Roberts, Staffer

For a year, a frenetic battle has surrounded North Carolina’s “bathroom bill”. This battle started in March of 2016, when North Carolina became the first state to pass a law that restricted which public bathrooms and locker rooms that transgender individuals are allowed to use, meaning that they would have to use the bathroom of the gender they were born as—no matter how far into their transition they were. Almost a year later, North Carolina became the first state to repeal that law.

Chris Sgro, a former Democratic state lawmaker and head of Equality North Carolina, said, “The political culture of the state has still changed for the better. We’ve been talking for 370 days in a row now about why transgender people need to be protected and what it means to be transgender.”

It has been a long and hard battle for the state of North Carolina to get where it is now, but the boycotts and fighting of LGBT+ activists soon became too much for the state and the State House took a vote on its repulsion. The Republicans in the house were split about whether to change course, but at the end of the day, the law was repealed with 40 GOP House lawmaker’s votes for repealing it, and 30 votes against repealing it.

The repeal of this law doesn’t mean the end of transgender rights battles, but it is undeniable that this is the first step in the right direction for America.