HPHS Media

Lion King 2019

Disney announces cast for live-action Lion King film in 2019

Kate White, Section Editor

Pride Rock—where King Mufasa rules all the land where the light touches, and Simba begins to learn his duties as the future king. “The Lion King” is a classic Disney children’s movie. Released on June 24, 1994, the timeless film has been watched by young children growing up for over two decades. Now, in 2017, Disney has revealed its plans to create a live-action rendition of “The Lion King,” coming out July 19, 2019.

The 2019 film will be a “CG-animated re-imagining of the 1994 Walt Disney classic The Lion King,” IMDb reports.

This means they will use computer graphic imagery and voice recordings by the actors to produce the film, most likely resulting in a more realistic appearance than the cartoon version.

“‘We are going to use a lot of virtual-reality tools so it feels akin to what you are looking at [if you were on a real set],’ explained Legato,” The Hollywood Reporter reports. “‘You can walk around the set like a cameraman. [Wearing VR headsets,] the actors can now walk into a scene and see the other actors and trees… and because you are in 3D, you get a realistic sense [of the environment].’”

Directed by Jon Favreau, director of 2016’s “Jungle Book,” this film will include many well-known names in the cast, such as: Donald Glover (Simba), Beyoncé (Nala), James Earl Jones (Mufasa) and Seth Rogen (Pumbaa).

Considering “The Lion King” is a musical in both the film and on Broadway, many people are excited about the prospect of a Beyoncé and Donald Glover duo, the latter of the two being famous artist Childish Gambino.

Although Disney fans haven’t received much information regarding the live-action adaptation, those at D23 Expo, Disney fan club’s annual convention, got a look at one clip from the upcoming film. Disney fans gathered July 14-16, 2017, at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California for the convention. “There was also a clip from Jon Favreau’s Lion King played to the packed audience, itself an almost shot-for-shot recreation of ‘The Circle of Life’ from the original animation. The scene saw rhinos, zebra, elephants and other animals gather around a huge rock where Rafiki presents the new baby Simba to the world,” Independent.co.uk reports.

“‘Jon Favreau’s ‘Circle of Life’ plays out exactly like you might remember, but that baby Simba is EVEN cuter,’ wrote Vulture’s Kyle Buchanan of the footage,” Independent.co.uk reports.

“‘We love this movie, and we are working hard,’ said director Jon Favreau,” The Hollywood Reporter reports.