HPHS Media

Types of Studying

Determining what learning style will benefit you most and how to use it.

Jill Mahony, Social Media Manager

With finals and the start of a new semester all coming up, it is important to study and even more important to understand which style of studying will be most beneficial. The following points will explain the three different types of learning styles and how to use them.

The quiz linked below this paragraph can help determine what type of learning style a person leans toward. The quiz was created by EducationPlanner, an education and career planning website that can help adults and students with advice and information regarding their futures. http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml

The different styles of learning can be broken down into three separate groups, but (as the quiz will show) people do not fall solely into one group. The three main groups are visual, tactile and auditory.

The visual learner will do better by reading about a topic or looking at photos. Visual people tend to remember what they see as opposed to what they hear or do. Visual learners may be easily distracted by sounds and have a more difficult time understanding directions that are spoken.

• Visual – Make graphs, drawings or charts when trying to understand a topic, take detailed notes, make flashcards, color code things and try to avoid distractions while studying.

The tactile learner can also be known as the physical learner. They are somebody that can learn by doing and touching. They learn best when doing physical activities. It is easy for tactile learners to remember doing things, but they have a hard time remembering who or what they saw while doing them. They might also have a habit of tapping a foot or pencil while working.

• Tactile – Make a to do and take breaks in between tasks to get up and walk around, make projects that involve writing, drawing, and putting things together that can be studied or arrange flashcards in groups to help make connections. Sitting in a rocking chair, walking around, shaking a leg, chewing gum or tapping a pencil might help with focus while studying.

The auditory learner has the easiest time understanding things they have heard. They have a harder time understanding directions that have been written down and do well when people explain things to them. They are good at double tasking, allowing them to listen to something while working on something else.

• Auditory – make notecards and read them aloud, read aloud from a textbook or other source, say something while being recorded and then listen to the recordings or have people verbally explain the material.

The other important factor for studying is the split between social learners and solitary learners. Social learners do better with group study sessions while the solitary learner will do better when studying alone.