HPHS Media

Splatter your heart out

A DIY Project

Mariyam Siddiqui

Splatter paint, originally called drip paint, emerged during the Abstract Expressionist Movement in the 1940s right after World War II as a response to the censorship in art that had been occuring in the U.S. at the time. Jackson Pollock, one of the more known artists who partook in the movement, was famous for the splatter paint technique, painting for hours until he had reached perfection. Pollock later became known as “Jack the Dripper,” a term coined by the New York Times and in reference to Jack the Ripper, a serial killer during the 1880s. Though the history of splatter painting is for the most part unknown to the vast majority of Americans, it still has become widespread – even found in makeup, food, home decor, etc. Today, people are enraptured by the chaos of splatter paint, taken in by the many colours that are produced. In honor of the past, these DIY splatter paint pencils have been made. In extension, they can also be used for everyday school work, especially as pencils are one of the top most lost things a student can own.

The materials needed for this project are: paints of your choice, paint brushes, tape, sandpaper and pencils.

First, lightly sand the pencils with the sandpaper. This will help the paint stick to the wood better.

Then, cover the tips of the pencils with the tape. This prevents the paint from interacting with the graphite in the pencil which could affect the color of the writing. If the pencils are not sharpened, this step can be ignored (however, it may be beneficial to place the tape over the unsharpened point of the pencil).

Paint the pencils in a color of choice. If multiple coats are added, allow the pencils to dry completely before adding the next coat.

On one side of the pencil, flick the paint (the amount of colors used can vary and all depends on the designer) in random directions. This is essentially the “splatter paint.” Once this has dried, turn the pencil around and repeat.

Once the paint has dried, the pencils are done and can be used for homework, decor or gifts. The craft itself is fun and only takes a few minutes to complete. Overall, it is a good experience, and just in time for the birthday (January 28) of Jack the Dripper (Pollock) himself.

This DIY is inspired by Your DIY Family